In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Strong Historical Society

Main Street through "the village," Strong, ca. 1890

Contributed by Strong Historical Society
MMN Item 57060 Item Details
Main Street through
MMN Item 57060 Zoom

Description

The Strong business district was known as "the village."

From left, Byron & Fogg Produce Exchange provided a market for local farmers' goods. Next the J. D. Vaughan building housed the G.A.R. Post 134 upstairs, and two merchants, C. B. Richardson and E. H. Vaughan, on the ground floor. Then the building owned by J. H. Bell had his residence upstairs and a hardware store downstairs. In the next building H. J. Bates operated a grocery store.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.